Sunday, October 21, 2007

Remembering Adam Honigman (I think!?)

Adam Honigman, Founding MemberIt wasn't til I was photographing in the Clinton Community Garden this morning that I realized that I likely had indeed met the late Adam Honigman.

Last Spring, as I was entering the gate of the Garden with my
trusty membership key, there was a man who identified himself as a founding member of the Garden standing outside the gate. He proceeded to give the two of us an impromptu mini-lecture about "getting involved".

The man looked suspiciously like the one in the photograph posted on the Garden gate this morning...

"Don't just be takers!" he practically scolded Mr. D and myself... Hehe.

Although a bit presumptuous,and somewhat gruff, we shrugged agreeably that he indeed made a good point... And we thanked him for his suggestion...

This was a speech (if it was indeed Adam H.?) from a man that was certainly well qualified with his distinctive and proven resume' of community service and activism:

HONIGMAN--Adam, passed away on October 16, 2007. Adam, a local parks activist, was one of the groundbreakers of the Clinton Community Garden in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood. He was also one of the most outspoken opponents against the West Side Stadium project. Survived by son Daniel. Services will be Friday morning 10am, in the main sanctuary of Temple EmanuEl, 1 East 65th Street. Donations will be accepted by Doug Fogel. Call 212-541-9810. Published in the New York Times on 10/19/2007.


Update: Manhattan Community Board 4 Website: Adam Honigman October 16, 2007 The Board Office is sad to report that Board Member Adam Honigman passed away on the evening of October 16th, 2007. He served enthusiastically on the Board's Waterfront and Park Committee and Clinton/Hell's Kitchen Land Use Committee...
Adam was a founding member and past-president of the 55th Street Block Association, founding member and vice-president of the DeWitt Clinton Park Conservancy, founding member and steering committee member of the Clinton Community Garden, and founding member of the Friends of the Bellevue Sobriety Garden... In 2005 Adam was a recipient of the NYC Parks Greenthumb “Garden Hero” Award... He will be missed.


I received the following message from his son: Daniel B. Honigman... "Appreciate the photo on Flickr. Adam Honigman is my father. I imagine that news of his death--if you had the pleasure of knowing him--must have been a shock. Suicide really is shocking to anyone who comes in contact with it... This is my first time back in the neighborhood in a long time. It's funny how neighborhoods, especially Hells Kitchen, works in Web 2.0, huh?... Thanks for the post. -d; Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:10:00 PM EDT"

Update: A memorial guest book for Adam Honigman, has been set up here.

10 comments:

dAAve said...

It's such a smaller world these days.

Daniel said...

It certainly is.

I'm actually surprised there isn't really a Clinton Community Garden blog yet. Maybe you can teach the folks over there a thing or two!

citygirl15 said...

He sounds like a good character who will be missed by the community. Time for you to get involved!

Anonymous said...

He may have been a good man, but jumping out of window onto to a crowded street seems quite selfish. He missed hitting my daughter who was walking home from work by inches!!! He had absolutely no regard of hitting an innocent person walking down the street. In a split second many lives would have been changed by his selfish act. If you're going to commit suicide it shouldn't involve innocent people.

Milly said...

Why wasn't my comment added to the site? Is it because it was negative. I'm sorry if it was negative, but my kid was almost killed because he decided he wanted to die that day.

Daniel B. Honigman said...

Inches? That's not what I heard.

360 W. Resident said...

I live at 360 W. and must tell you that Mr. Honigman was not a friendly person to people in the building. Never said hello to the doormen or other folks, as far as I saw. Kind of a miserable, arrogant guy. He actually had the gaul to dress me down bacause on was talking on my cellphone while walking through the lobby (August). I have lived here over a decade. I cursed him out and was pissed off for the rest of the night. Yes I know about the family's loss of Mrs. Honigman and all, and I can empathize. Anyway, I don't feel bad for his passing, other than the fact that Daniel survives without his parents. By all accounts you are a sweet guy Daniel, but I just feel the need to give my perspective here. I feel for you man...sorry to speak my truth, but I felt I had to. I guess you grew up pretty quickly these last few years. Good luck in Chicago.

Daniel said...

I'll be the first to admit, he wasn't the nicest guy towards the end of his life. He probably deserved what you gave him.

Daniel said...

I would like to add one thing: Depression does some strange things to people, and given your response to Todd's blog post, I doubt you'd understand just how much depression can wear you down.

I wish nothing but good things upon you, but I really hope you never end up in a position where you're as depressed as my father was in the last few years of his life.

np0804 said...

I live in HK and was just walking through the garden and was startled and saddened to notice the plaque for Adam. I knew him a few years ago when we came into contact as a result of his community activism. He was always friendly and seemed busy and active from his involvement in local matters. I remember him very fondly and am sorry he is gone.

Noah