Thursday, April 17, 2008

Peter & the Oscar


I recently saw Peter & the Wolf... It had been broadcast on PBS and I had DVR'd it.

Peter & the Wolf is a composition by Sergei Prokofiev written in 1936 after his return to the Soviet Union. It is a children's story (with both music and text by Prokofiev), usually performed spoken by a narrator accompanied by the orchestra. I once did a production using one of my puppets to adapt the text with Puppetworks, Inc., for example.

I liked the stop-action animated film a lot.... It won the 2008 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film.

It has a dark and a spiffy look and mood not unlike the work of Jan Svankmajer, whose Alice in Wonderland has always been a personal favorite...

I wish this team at Breakthrough Films would do a version of Pinocchio...

They would could put in the true wicked and wild elements from the Collodi original...

Don't miss the accompanying documentary on how they used clever tools to painstakingly maneuver the stop action puppets within very tight and elaborate sets.. .

2 comments:

citygirl15 said...

wow....I just viewed the trailer and it looks amazing. Like the soundtrack too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing but stop motion is never really my thing.