Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pizza's Rising Dough

Sacco PizzaSacco Pizza Slice

I stopped at Sacco's for a slice the other night.

OK, two slices.

Don't shoot me.

But the price had gone up to $2.50 a slice.

OK. Shoot me now.

It was less than a year ago that it had gone up from $2 to $2.25. Ouch.

The Sunday edition of New York Times the other day shed some obvious
light:

"Dairy and wheat prices have skyrocketed in the past year. One result is
that it's a bad time to be in a business in which two of the main
ingredients are cheese and dough."

Might be a good time to develop lactose-intolerance and wheat allergies,
eh?

6 comments:

citygirl15 said...

I heard that prices did go up, but $2.50 isn't too bad. Una Pizza Napoletana on East 12th is rumored to have the best pizza....but the cost of a 12" pie will set you back $21.00.

Michael said...

Yep, my local pizza joint went up .25 cents recently, too. The price of flour--can you believe it?

Scott W said...

EVERYTHING has gone up! bleh

David said...

I knew about the wheat price increases but was unaware about the dairy. It used to be that the price of a subway ride and a slice of pizza were always supposed to match. No more, I fear.

Ming the Merciless said...

I haven't had a slice of pizza in ages! Ages, I tell ya!

Rebeca said...

Mmm... pizza !! making my mouth water.