Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Back in Helldersburg, MD Where...

Back in Helldersburg for a Summer of 2012 visit...

Where they eat Grand Slams  at Denny's... (Healthy options only. And they look at me like I have two heads cuz I don't order bacon! The guy in the next booth had a double order. And it's not even good bacon.)

Where Library Internet has more security passwords and more prying eyes than you can shake a stick at...

Where angry and ugly lawn signs protest any development in the neighborhood whatsoever...

Where great night sounds of crickets and bugs in a dark, dark night sky. Excellent.

Where the local movie house is boarded up because the people don't go out much.

Where they offer you two giant bottles of sugarly carbonated so-called lemonade if you will open a Walmart credit card... No thanks... But I'm sure some people love your carbonated, pink artificially-flavored corn syrup chemical project...

Where my rental car with New Jersey tags is looked upon with great suspicion everywhere I go...

Where you can overhear a conversation where the best Creamed Chipped Beef can be found within a 60 mile radius...

Where the traffic slows regularly on the beltway at the same spots daily for no apparent reason other than that the traffic always slows at that same spot at the same time daily.

Where local radio has the tackiest ads with the tackiest Baltimore accents...

Where your blogger falls into the tackiest Baltimore accent without even thinking...

Where the local salad bar offers iceberg lettuce only. And canned sodium rich beans...

Where the local crab cakes are so salty you immediately need blood pressure meds...

2 comments:

truthspew said...

Yes indeed once you get that far south things change mightily.

My experiences mostly come from time in North Carolina, the northeastern part just bordering Virginia. One of my least favorite highways is I-64.

The only food item I love down there is the barbecue sandwich. I've tried making it, and it's close but not quite there. But I did find out info on the company that makes it and I'll probably have them ship me a few gallons.

Greg said...

That happens with New Jersey tags wherever you go. ;-)