Wednesday, October 03, 2012

My Own Facebook Issues

A friend recently took the time to organize his friends on Facebook so he can control the mount of notifications and alerts that he gets...

Yes... I did re-organization thing a long time ago myself... I made a Group called "Close friends"... So if I ever want to mail just to them I can...

Thing about FB is they make so many mistakes and change policies so many times that I rarely use the feature... Afraid that I'll post something to a select group to find that it appeared to all....

Also... the "family" feature winds up being very literal...So they want to know your actual relation to someone and then they make it public...

I overheard some businessmen talking in a restaurant at lunch today... They were hiruing someone to develop their business' page on FB to get people to "like" it so they can harvest their phone numbers, addresses and email addresses...

 Reminds me that I want to go to my FB page next and see what info is available in my FB Profile... And what nefarious groups I might have "liked" in a weak moment.. Again, I think I turned things off, but they have a nasty sneaky way of changing the rules all the time...

And everytime my phone updates a FB app, there are privacy changes that require consents. Wouldn't surprise me if the fine print didn't say: "Your phone number and satellite location will now appear forever on your FB public profile", or something...

I still think Facebook's a GREAT social tool and I do love the ability to keep in touch with people through it... There are so many people that I would never be in touch with otherwise...

I'm one of those people that only accepts a FB friend if I really know them, and our lives crossed somewhere in real time...

If  Facebook offered a reasonable Membership rate that included privacy and none of the advertising and spy tricks, I'd probably take it... And those who wanted to save the money could continue to be subject to the information drain, and advertising in lieu of paying a fee...

Stockholders: Are you listening?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You neglected to mention that FB is a crashing bore!
Don't know which is worse...the tiresome political nattering or the endless posts of self-promotion...
These people must spend HOURS doing nothing else.