Sunday, January 19, 2014

Are Backups Worth Crying Over?

My trusy 'ol Windows 7 rig made a loud grinding sound on start-up this morning. Sounded somewhat like a wailing sound that could've come from the cherub pictured.

Fan? Hard drive? Mother board? What the hell do I know??

Did myself a proper shut down and banged and jiggled the damned thing, said a prayer and re-booted and I'm good to go... For now... But the day will surely come when this 'ol Acer will gasp and show that dreaded Blue Screen of Death...

So, then, I'll prolly hunt down a new Windows 8 desktop. I've been warned how intuitively different that new O/S will be... As an experienced Android guy, familiar with apps, I'm not worried about that Windows learning curve...

But what of Data Backup?

Fact is, everything of value on this hard drive is stored and available elsewhere... On this here blog, in former Google Docs now called Google Drive, on Evernote Pro... on Facebook, on my Flickr Page.... on Twitter, and favorite found photos on Pinterest. Bookmarks synch to my Chrome cloud... The Firefox Bookmarks?? Gotta look at those...

But if I lose Bookmarks, fact is, I use very few regularly anyway... So I can search them again the old fashioned way and recreate a fresh Bookmarks list...

Done that before... In fact, somewhere on here is my original IE Bookmark list from Windows 95... And most of those sites are long dead... Friendster, anyone?

So, I'm not even gonna stress it.

I'm just not...

1 comment:

truthspew said...

You can get an external 1-4TB drive for about $100 now. Do that and get Macrium Reflect. It does a bitwise copy of any Windows hard drive.

I try to do monthly backups. And I tend to replace hard drives about every three years.